Welcome to the 2013 Orpheus Competition
Please see special parking instructions
Please enter the MTSU Campus from Rutherford Blvd; follow the map below to the Wright Music Building (WMB) Call 615-898-2849 for further information-safe travels! ( The State track tournament is also on campus this weekend) http://www.mtsu.edu/parking/2012-2013%20Parking%20Map.pdf
Beginning in 1996, the Middle Tennessee Choral Society has sponsored the annual Orpheus Vocal Competition to provide financial support and encouragement to singers age 19 to 30 from around the United States who are pursuing careers as vocal artists. Orpheus is the only competition of its kind in the south central United States.
There are 2 categories in Orpheus:
- Student: for ages 19-24
- Young Artist: for ages 25-30
This year the Society will be awarding grand prizes of $3,000 for the Student winner and $5,000 for the Young Artist winner. Additional prizes will be awarded by individuals and corporations. For a listing of prizes awarded in past Orpheus Competitions, visit the Awards page.
Dec.1, 2012: Orpheus Application Postmark Deadline
Jan. 16, 2013: Semi-Finalists Notification
March 8-10, 2013: Contest Dates
- Competition is open to any singer who has completed or is in the process of completing an accredited music education.
- Applicants must have reached their 19th birthday and may not have reached their 31st birthday by the application deadline.
- Applicants must submit, by the application deadline, CDs (no cassette tapes) containing two of the selections on the applicant's list of repertoire. Recordings must be accompanied by a completed application form, an updated resume, a current photo, and proof of date of birth.
- Applicants must provide a program of the following selections:
- In the Young Artist category: 3 operatic arias in various styles and languages and one aria from standard oratorio.
- In the Student category: 2 art songs in various styles and languages, 1 operatic aria, and 1 aria from standard oratorio.
- Only singers who are seriously pursuing careers as vocal artists need apply.
- Each completed application form must be accompanied by a non-refundable application fee of $50 made to Middle Tennessee Choral Society.
- Information regarding housing, transportation, and performance dress will be included with semi-finalist notification.
- Afternoon recital attire is standard.
Click here to open up the Application Form. Once open, click on the fields and type in your information. Then print the application and send to the specified address along with all other required items.
note: The application is in PDF format and requires Adobe Reader to open. Click the icon below to visit the Adobe site and download Reader for free.
Judges for the 2013 Orpheus Vocal Competition will include:
|Dr. Ted Wylie
Professor of Voice
Professor of Voice, Director of East Carolina Opera
East Carolina University
Florida Grand Opera